Saturday, February 7, 2009

Get Off Michelle's Back!

(Sorry this topic is a couple of days old I know, when I wrote it it was current, I have been so busy lately that I haven't had time to post things. However, seeing as I am still pretty fired up about this I am choosing to post it regardless.)

There is always something that people are whining about isn't there? Michelle Obama has been greatly criticized for not including African-American designers in her inaugural wardrobe by the BAA. (Even though she has already displayed many different and often overlooked American talents...I guess it doesn't count?....) Maybe this is fashion blasphemy for me to say, but should what the First Lady wears really be such a political obligation? Fashion is an extension of our personalities; it is a way of expression, why should she be forced to wear what she may not like simply because the designers are African Americans? As designer B. Michael said, fashion is subjective and a matter of personal choice.

It really does seem silly that many are making such a big deal out of this. Do you see Barack's suites making headlines?! No! Because we are more concerned with how he can help our country. Why should this be any different for Michelle? I for one do not want someone in her position just to be a "wall flower." She is a woman who has received a Juris Doctor degree from Harvard Law, served as the Assistant to the Mayor in Chicago, and as an Executive Director for the Chicago office of Public Allies. Before I would ever have the nerve to ask her to change her style to something I felt was better, I would ask that she offer something great to this country. I would ask that she be the Eleanore Roosevelt of our day, it's obvious we need one!

In all honesty I am getting sick of the color thing. The inauguration was a historic moment that was cherished by nearly everyone regardless of color or politics. The Black Artist Association (BAA) needs to find something more justifiable to complain about. Isabel Toledo and Jason Wu (two of the lucky designers who designed Michelle's inaugural attire) are also minorities hoping to give their careers and passions wings. Should Cuban and Asian designers be less favored to African American ones? Really, isn't making a point to select a designer based on skin color, black or not, considered discrimination?! Our political correctness has become a double standard, and it is both tragic and frustrating.

No comments: