Thursday, October 22, 2009

Adventures with Maddie 1.

(Note to the reader: I found this post whilst looking through all of the entries this year I haven't posted. I know it is old, but I couldn't figure out why I didn't publish it at the time. This year I began mentoring a little girl at an elementary school near by. I have had so much fun and learned so much from her. I plan to write more about my adventures with Maddie, however this was our first so I feel I need to post it :). )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

men⋅tor /ˈmɛntɔr, -tər/
–noun
1. a wise and trusted counselor or teacher.
2. an influential senior sponsor or supporter.


Alright, alright, by no means do I fill the role of the actual definition of the word "mentor." But I did agree to start mentoring a first grade little girl, Maddie. Tomorrow is my first day and I am really excited and a little nervous, what if she doesn't like me???

For one of our activities (I can't decide if I will be patient and wait till next Friday, or just do it tomorrow...) I have a really fun Halloween themed session! I can't wait. One of my girl's goals is that she wants to be able to read better, so I found the cutest beginner book called the "Wild Witches' Ball!"



It is adorable! After we read the book I thought it would be fun to draw (with Halloween colored crayons!) our own witch ball dresses and other Halloween themed things. Along with designing our own witches ballgowns I am bringing gold and silver Mardi Gras type masks that we can glue sequins and plastic jewels on to! I really hope she has fun with it! I am also bringing her a little goody-bag with candy corn, pop rocks, a witch sucker, and a little pumpkin toy. I really hope she likes it!

No comments: