Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Little Mermaid on Broadway


Saturday morning while I watched Janice, Ian, Kate, and Emma I brought over the Little Mermaid Broadway soundtrack and the picture book I bought from the musical in New York. Two of the girls are starting dance class so I thought it would be fun for them to dance to. Ian however loved dancing to it as well. Anyway it was a hit, they loved it. And it reminded me I never did a post about the musical, though I wanted too.

As many of my friends and family know The Little Mermaid is one of my all time favorite Disney movies! She and I were even born the same year ;). (Hercules, and Mulan are my favs too). So as one might imagine I was ecstatic when I heard we were going to go see it on Broadway in New York! We were lucky enough to see all of the original cast, many of whom have received Tony Awards. The woman who played Ariel received a Tony Award for her performance in this musical. Everything was incredible...I know this may seem odd, but I thought the Stage set was spectacular! Ursula's dress had to have been at least 25grand to make.

I loved the play and the music, but I will agree with some of the critics who say it was a little theme parkish. However keep in mind this is Disney we are dealing with... And I wish they had added a few more creative touches to the musical. I found that though it truly was wonderful it felt like I was just watching the movie with extended songs. What was the name of the woman who did the Lion King on Broadway? They should have hired someone like her.

Although I do have some criticisms for the most part I loved it! My favorite songs were, Part of Your World, I Want the Good Times Back, and One Step Closer. If you are a Disney fan, and are ever in New York City I would definetly recommend it. I hope when and if I have a daughter that it is still playing on Broadway!

No comments: