Saturday, August 16, 2008

On the Moon

There are times, like tonight driving home from work, when I achingly wish that words, cameras, or even paintings could truly capture the beauty of the moon. As I drove, absorbing the blessing of her bright presence just over the beautiful mountains that surround my home I couldn't help but chuckle a little to think that in truth many times our views of the moon are optical illusions. The moon is never farther or closer to the earth, nor is it really ever half or a quarter present, the Earth's shadow merely covers part of it. Because of this illusion did the rest of the world see the beautiful moon I witnessed tonight? It has been quite some time since I have seen her (I say her because I have always pictured the moon as a woman...I am not sure why) as "close" and as bright as she was tonight.

No comments: