Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mothers


Today marks the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day. I struggled when trying to find the perfect topic to write about. Who or what could I discuss that would encompass my view of the feminine and womanhood? I thought of writing of women who shook the world before their time, of famous politicians, scientists, artists, etc. Then it hit me, the women I need to spotlight on this special day are mothers.

I am so grateful for my mom and all she has done me. I am grateful for the women who have entered my life and acted as mother figures. So often mothers comfort others when their own needs are greater than those being comforted. I believe that the empathy shown by mothers during their own strife is a portion of divinity.

If we could see the real history of mankind in its entirety, would it feature the echoes of war and gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great fights of men or the peacemaking of mothers in their homes and neighborhoods? Neal A. Maxwell asked: "Would what happened in cradles and homes prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses?" I think so.

Thank you all who have acted as wonderful mothers and mother figures. You have helped make the future a brighter place and this girl is very, very grateful for you.

No comments: